New Bookstore

London

You can now find some of my rarer books (including a couple I didn’t even know existed!) by going to my online bookstore at the top of the page.

7 comments on “New Bookstore”

1. Steve says:

I’m not an author or a publisher, but I don’t get this one at all.

I’ve discovered that “Paperboy” is available for Kindle……..but not in the United States!
    The site says that “Due to certain copyright restrictions”, blah blah blah.
    I know I should quit whining and just buy the book from Amazon.co.uk., but I really want to read it on my Kindle.

Rats!

I am pleased to see that some things are not available for kindle reading. As was commented somewhere else – and concurred with by Steve – books are the best. Oh, kindle is a book? Just think of the muscle atrophy that would occur while NOT turning pages, the skills that would be lost, the ability to flip back 3 pages to find what the doctor really did say to the dieing woman, for example.

3. I.A.M. says:

You can flip back and forth between pages on electronic readers. Some even let you set bookmarks if you want to flip back to a variety of sections. Some even let you highlight text, with the option of deleting the colour afterwards (try doing that with paper!).

4. Steve says:

Yeah! What Ian said!

Besides, I think there’s room for both books and e-readers, just as there’s room for LP’s and MP3’s, or radio and television.

Absolutely. Technology is always changing and has been since the wheel was invented. I always thought sending the LP into space, no matter how friendly and inclusive the message, was a strange idea when there was no certainty about the type of technology available at the other end. (Even supposing there was another end.) I had students gathered round my office door to watch me using a typewriter and that was 4 years ago. They didn’t even know what to call it.

6. Steve says:

It was actually a few years ago……it hadn’t really struck me that I was getting old – an instant of frightening illumination – until one day when wandering through an antiques mall, I happened to see a display case containing toys like the very ones I had played with as a child.
    Well, as my brother-in-law is fond of saying – over and over again – any day you’re on this side of the dirt is a good day.

I was thrilled to find in an antiques mall a lunchkit just like the one I carried to primary school. It was a really great kit, too, oval shaped and printed with a trolley bus. The handles were the trolley poles. Yes, I bought it because my father had used mine to store screws and nails and it had rusted through. It was before I retired so I actually took my lunch to school in it. I ignore what it says about my age.