A Song Without A Name

The Arts

My taste in music is – well, eclectic is too kind a word, as I tend to play everything from Gilbert & Sullivan to Japanese hip-hop while I’m working. I draw the line at country music, but just about everything else from French rap to the atonal German modern opera version of ‘Gormenghast’ gets airtime. Turning out the Mp3 equivalent of my attic cupboard I found this, just a short section of the song (the maximum I can upload) and very roughly recorded, but there’s something conciliatory and moving about it. In everything we create, we try to find a grace note that will affect the reader/ viewer/ listener. This came form a West End show that didn’t run, and If anyone else likes it I’ll tell you what it is. Merry Christmas.
2-12 Alt Finale 2

15 comments on “A Song Without A Name”

1. RobertR says:

Is it from ‘Girlfriends’? from about 1986/87?

2. martin says:

I don’t think I could be described as a country fan, but check out Blue Yodel #9 by Jimmie Rodgers. Yes, I’m serious. Great song with Louis Armstrong on trumpet. 1930

3. Brian says:

It has the template sound of a Webber & Rice production. Their productions always sound the same to me just with different words. Still, they suck in the mobs and make lots of money for all involved. G & S did exactly the same of course.

If it is one of W & R’s I’d suggest it is the very early one about Dr. Barnado except you say it didn’t run. The Dr. Barnado production did get a brief run many years later about 3 or 4 years ago. Not sure of the name, however, will have to leaf through my store of note books to get that.

Damn, RobertR, you are GOOD! How the hell did you know that? Yes, it’s from Howard Goodall’s play about the RAF women who guide pilots in by night, an astonishing work by a classical composer (ie not Lloyd Webber). Mr Goodall kindly made me a complete copy of it. How this failed when Les Miz continues to drag its tired French feet across the stage is a mystery.

5. The Musical Theater Fairy says:

Though the miracle of Google! It’s the Act Two finale of a musical about the British Women’s Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) called “Girlfriends.” The script is available in its entirety at Howard Goodall’s (the composer) website. Reminds me more of Murray Yeston’s music than Lloyd Webber. But stirring and lovely all the same.

6. Steve says:

Modern Country music is structurally indistinguishable from rock, with the addition of fiddles, steel guitars and southern accents. I find those additions unpalatable. Out on the rubbish heap along with any kind of rap and disco.

7. I.A.M. says:

I”m no C&W person either, but Willie Nelson and Hank Williams, Sr. are alright by me. There’s also a brilliant — brilliant! — interpretation of Pink Floyd’s The Wall done by Luther Wright and the Wrongs in ‘bluegrass’ style. The entire work is presented complete with slightly revised sound effects and it all works quite well, with incredible musicianship to boot. Roger Waters was sent a few tracks for the opportunity of saying “please don’t”, but replied saying he wanted “more please, this is great!” Worth seeking out, that one, just open your mind first.

It sounds like Webber and Rice to me, too, but could Howard Goodall be a clue, plus “Girlfriends” and (possibly) alternate second ending? A pretty song – pretty, pretty.
    Can anyone tell me about “Clocks” by the Kinks (?) We had a guitar version on Sunday marking the passage of time. Is it an instrumental or are there words – and do I want to hear them?

9. Steve says:

I don’t recall a song called “Clocks” by the Kinks, and I looked online at a site that claims to list all of them. Not there.
    If you do find out more about it, I’d like to know.

Sorry. Checked my program and it was by Coldplay, not the Kinks. Sorry if I have rattled all the Kinks fans. I.A.M tells me that he doesn’t care much for Coldplay, so he doesn’t recognize the title. I may have to ask a member of the band that covered it.

11. Steve says:

The lights go out and I can’t be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought me down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead singing

Come out of things unsaid
    Shoot an apple off my head
    And a trouble that can’t be named
    A tiger’s waiting to be tamed singing

You are
    You are

Confusion never stops
    Closing walls and ticking clocks
    Gonna come back and take you home
    I could not stop that you now know singing

Come out upon my seas
    Cursed missed opportunities
    Am I a part of the cure?
    Or am I part of the disease? Singing