‘On The Loose’ Chosen As Top Mystery

Bryant and May

B&MOTLUKB&M
Publishers Weekly has named B&M ON THE LOOSE as one of their top Mystery books of 2009 – one of just seven mysteries on their top 100 list. Jump-the-gun celebratory drinks are happening tonight at HQ, in the anticipation that it will translate into sales. The old boys done good! And interesting to compare US and UK covers.

21 comments on “‘On The Loose’ Chosen As Top Mystery”

1. I.A.M. says:

I’ve always preferred the UK covers. The copy of the hardback to arrive in a couple of weeks is like as not to have the cover on the left, in all its twee glory. There’s nothing to be afraid of on the left, no feeling of impending doom or danger; the only possible harm to come from the cartoon on the North American covers is from Great Aunt Edith’s knitting needle being left in the cardigan she’s made and just given you to try on.

Still, it’s the words inside what matter, and the outside does say England to consumers (just not the right sort).

2. I.A.M. says:

DAMN! Nearly forgot: HOOOORAY!

Better get your glass topped-up, as it looks like Himself’s about to make a speech.

3. Steve says:

And so say all of us!

4. Yeah, congratulations!

5. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    well done, richly deserved !
    All the Best

Steve

6. J. Folgard says:

Yep, congratulations Chris, Arthur & John! And add me to the list of those who prefer the UK covers, there’s just more “mood” to them I think. Here’s hoping for even more success, and maybe a french translation in the near future, so I can share the Bryant & May Mysteries with my non-anglophone friends. Cheers!

7. Mike Cane says:

Congratulations!! Hollywood will come sniffing around soon.

Three cheers, indeed! I am so glad that I have the UK cover, as that US thing is just silly and looks like one of those ‘cozy’ mysteries, even though the things flying round the packing box include many of the crucial parts of the story. If anyone talks about filming this series – and I for one certainly hope it happens – it had better be filmed by Brits because the Americans could not even conceivably do justice to character, plot, or setting.

9. Karin says:

Congratulations! ARE YOUR PUBLISHERS LISTENING?

10. J. Folgard says:

Yes! How about trying again to make them interested in this Bryant & May short stories collection you wrote about several weeks ago? That would be nice. Here’s hoping then! Cheers-

11. Fiona says:

Well done. What are your sales figures like? Would you like it to go to TV or film or would that be a disaster? Can’t wait for the next Bryant & May, ETA?

12. Steve Nagel says:

Congratulations! Well deserved success, which certainly will take flight monetarily when you get the old boys on video. Interesting to think about: TV or movie? I have to think that a feature-length is more appropriate to your melange newsy London bits and illustrative historical detail. Starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine as The Men Who Would Be Cops.

13. GumshoeDunn says:

God I hope I’m still allowed to post after this comment, but I love the US covers. But that may also be because I’m from Indiana and we like pretty colors…

Oh and right Congrats Chris! Here’s to Bryant & May, may they still be solving crimes when I’m their age!

14. Anne Hill Fernie says:

the nearest thing that (for me) would come close to visualising London as it is evoked in the books would be a treatment similar to that of Peter Ackroyd’s series on ‘London’ from a couple of years back. If the stories are filmed, please please do not let them get twee’d up – t’would be a disaster (that American cover gives me a bad feeling in that respect….)

15. Lacuna Bless says:

Please do not let the Americans near these ENGLISH tecs. It would end up as another string of “Murder She Wrote” episodes.
    I adore these books. I love the history woven throughout, so atmospheric.

16. Nicole Ellis says:

I just thought that NCIS is a copy cat of CSI.”.”

17. Zak Fisher says:

i think NCIS is much better than CSI because they solve much harder cases.”;,

18. NCIS is much better than CSI in my own opinion, it has more drama and twists on the story“~

19. NCIS is much like CSI but there is more action and drama in it;;,

20. actually i watch NCIS more often than CSI, NCIS offers more drama and have great characters compared to CSI*`,