What Makes A Londoner?
It’s one of those questions that come up on pub evenings: Are Londoners born or raised? Heredity has lost out over environment. It’s not who your parents are but how you live, and London is working proof. After a period of living here, residents quickly adopt London habits. Being able to tick any three of the following London habits probably means you’re totally assimilated and are now beyond help.
1. Predisposition to politeness
2. Excessive use of sarcasm
3. Occasional bout of tipsiness
4. Smiling indulgently at suburbanites up for weekend parties in angel wings
5. Taking secret pleasure in rainy Sundays
6. Annoyance at Northerners who shout things in unison
7. Knowing your way around the National Theatre or, God forbid, the Barbican
8. Ability to find nearest good pub/ restaurant without recourse to SatNav
9. Avoidance of Oxford Street unless in dire emergency (ie out of moisturiser)
10. Ability to walk past protest meetings/street performers without stopping to gawp