Art imitates Art

Reading & Writing

DSC00071

Last year the Hollywood movie ‘Disturbia’ popped up, swiping my book of the same title. This year it’s ‘Psychoville’. I’m a huge fan of the League Of Gentlemen, and seem to recall coming home and finding Reece Shearsmith in my lounge for some reason. Was some subconscious memory triggered when they came to name their series? We’ll never know. Anyway (he says with great good grace) the show is terrific.

6 comments on “Art imitates Art”

1. Steve says:

I remember getting excited for all of 10 seconds when I saw the trailer for Disturbia, thinking “Ah, they’ve finally seen the value in Chris’s books…..!”
    But no.
    Bummer.

2. I.A.M. says:

Imagine the League of Gentlemen extraordinarily doing Breathe? That’d be cool!

By the way, did you notice what I did there? The word-play? Genius, eh?

[sound of wind crossing desert]

…or perhaps not.

3. Stephen Groves says:

Hi Chris,
    I to get excited when I see the title of one of your books turn up on the tv listings or future film productions only to be sadley disappointed with a title doppleganger.
    all best
    Steve

4. Stan says:

What ever happened to the Spanky feature to be directed by Guillermo del Toro? I’m sure that was going to be an adaption and not just a title swipe. There was a piece in a newspaper years ago about Rupert Everett playing the lead but I’ve seen nothing since (unless you’ve posted something I’ve missed…which is likely). Shame, as del Toro is as good a fantasy/horror director as you’ll ever get but his slate now looks chock full of Hobbits and Champions and stuff.

5. Stephen Groves says:

Stan ,
    I think I read somewhere that the project was shelved but some of the original ideas were used in hell boy 2.
    Regards
    Steve

Actually ideas from Spanky were used in Hellboy 2, but Guillermo very fairly only used the ideas he added to the original screenplay and didn’t rip anything off. A good man and a great director…