London Trivia 2.3

London

I can see I’ve been making these waaay too easy. Right, who’s allowed to make a song and dance outside Fortnum & Mason?
fortnum_mason1jpg

13 comments on “London Trivia 2.3”

1. I.A.M. says:

Who ever the window display designer firm is.

On the other hand, it could be that you are thinking of the models of the original Mr. Fortnum and Mr. Mason which emerge to music on the hour from the four foot high clock installed above the entrance by Mr. Garfield Weston, whose company now owns the iconic establishment.

And so you all fall into my cunning trap – WRONG!

4. BangBang!! says:

I don’t suppose it’s the bees they keep on the roof is it?

It’s got to be the bees. I should have read further. It was just that I liked the idea of those two figures and the 18th century music. Bowing isn’t dancing, though, and bees do dance.

6. BangBang!! says:

That’s what I thought Helen and humming is sort of singing!

Bowing is a bit like headbanging which is a kind of a dance? Might be stretching it there though. Ha ha. I’m sure I regarded it as dancing at the time!

No, it’s not bees!
    You’ll get another clue tomorrow…

8. I.A.M. says:

Why am I imagining the author sitting at his desk cackling with glee like Steerpike rolling on his bed toward the end of the 1st book…?

9. BangBang!! says:

I’m having a day out in London tomorrow so I might pop down there for a song and dance and see if anything comes to me!!

10. RobertR says:

Could it be the tunes which the 17 bells ring out? Such as the Princess Gavotte?

THE ANSWER:
    Fortnum & Mason has its own busker, Joe Newman OBE, now 91. F&M awarded him a special medal in 2001 and appointed him ‘Busker In Residence’. The war veteran is a true London eccentric, still performs and has raised lots of money for charity.

12. I.A.M. says:

A busker with an O.B.E.… only in London! What a shame there aren’t more, though.

13. Stan Dwellback says:

An update on Joe (ex-para.) – eventually has made his final ‘sortie’ – funeral held in Wandsworth today.
    A very short man (he would tell you that it was all that parachuting and landing that he did) but a giant of a man. Not only did he raise the money fo rcharity but he organised the do’s for the ‘old’ people himself.